Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

People in glasshouses...

Grow plants. Thousands of them. This is not merely a thing in the house in which I am residing but a national obsession.
Last year I did a tour of my house, this year doing a tour of the houseplants may be more relevant. When I arrived there were 3 in my room, I killed one the other was rescued and well the ivy plant seems to be a tough old bird. But just give me time...

I once read a blog by a guy who records his arguments with his german girlfriend, there in were several posts on just this topic. However I was reminded of one particular post (finding a potplant in the shower) after counting not 1, not 2, but 6 plants in the downstairs bathroom alone. There's at least 20 in the downstairs conservatory and more in the upstairs bit and I haven't bothered counting the rest, but they're endemic! And yes I meant endemic! It's the same in school! I can't walk up/down the stairs from the staff room without being assaulted by a tree!!!

I was asked if we had plants in our house in England. I laughed and replied "are you kidding me, I'm a plant murderer! The last thing I had was chives and they died because I watered them too much!!" I went on to say I think my mum has some but upon further reflection I realised they all died ages ago.

I'm pretty sure I live in a conservatory.
I have nothing against houseplants per se, but they are rather a thing that attracts wildlife, and that I can live without! Though here they still have red squirrels and there's one that lives in the garden he's rather a cute fellow I think he likes to watch us eat. Talking of eating...

Stuttgart is a magical place. A land if promise, flowing with milk and honey, or more accurately tea, bacon, Cornish pasties, proper sausages, Jammy Dodgers, Marmite, lemon curd, mince pies, Cadburys, birds custard, stuffing and all the things that this country lacks, however they can make kebabs or as they refer to them "kebaps" the "Yufka" in particular is a must. At home I wouldn't touch a doner kebab with a 100ft barge pole but here, well I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

Now having made myself ridiculously hungry but hopefully having splurged my brain enough on the various cultural differences I have to remark upon right now I shall go dream about teaching Germans how to queue for the bus properly the mad surge for the door offends my sensibilities!!!

Nanight!
Bethxx

No comments:

Post a Comment