Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Why hard work sucks.

As fully predicted, I hate using my brain again!

I hate hard work, it leaves you no time to blog! So yeah, it's now friday of week 2.  Here is the timetable report, 9AMs suck, this we knew already, but Monday 9AMs are more bearable than Friday 9 AMs. 

Mental note to self - take thermos of coffee for 2 hours of German  on Friday. I can see that 9 - 11 Am slot becoming a most hated fixture.
I also possibly mentioned that I have a weekend in the middle of the week.
This "weekend", or perhaps "midweeksiesta" is turning in much less of a weekend and into a "howmuchcanwestuffinto48hrs-siesta". Yesterday after spending most of the morning in bed. Who knew it was imperative to get 10hrs sleep? I thought you needed 8. 6 is my usual and probably has alot to do with my schizophrenic notes from this mornings German, auf Deutsch, lecture. That and a distinct lack of caffine. I wish I could make Mocha at home but i am sadly bereft of milk whisk. If you take pity on me buy me one.  
The joy of mocha is two fold. One its espresso based = plenty of caffine = alert, mildly more "with it" Beth, and two its full of chocolate and (if bought from diggles) cream this makes me feel happy or at least  less depressed. 
Lucy understands this. Lucy knows the joys of Mocha. Its why we joke that last year she payed the diggles men's wages! She did buy and awful lot of hot beverages from their establishment, despite mainly being fuelled by tea, we got her in to the beany joys of coffee. But this is a tangent and I'm getting sidetracked.

This isn't uncommon.

Back to more academic concerns.

Translation.
Translators are a very particular type of person. They are fastidious, precise, organised, hard working, and focused.
None of the above adjectives, except hard working apply to me.
Yet DELC insists that every week I translate at least 250 from German to English. 
I spend a lot of time promising myself rewards for a little bit of focus. I wish it worked. 
Admittedly this weeks is substantially easier than last weeks. It's a start that my first action upon reading the first sentence was to understand what it meant instead of making full recourse to my dictionary as the only words that made sense were the grammatical function words, as was the case last week. 
This why Lucy is good at translation and Beth is not. Lucy organises Beth, Beth leaves chaos in her wake. 

This afternoon is thusly dedicated to napping whilst pretending to translate.

Gah DELC!

Whilst we're on the subject of DELC,
Year Abroad.
It seems that as a language assistant this is the term that everything starts to get rather busy, whilst next term is relatively quiet.
We had our first lecture on Wednesday swiftly followed by one next Wednesday. This next one being more important than the last one as I already knew everything they told us on Wednesday. Yet being reminded of it was so scary it required a Diggles milkshake. And everyone knows, Diggles milkshakes are fantastic but you do have to skip a rent payment for one.
Especially as I have a particularly costly combination.
But never mind xD
So yes Year Abroad keeps getting closer and it shan't be long till this turns into a year abroad blog. by very nature of its being about me and what I do and thusly, the life and trials of a disorganised English and German student, shall turn into the foreign mishaps of an English Language Assistant in Germany.

:O

Now before I toddle off, because its long past nap time,

Congratulations to my cousin David and his wife Penny, who had a gorgeous little boy Elias James, who finally decided to put in an appearance at 3.30 AM on Wednesday.  :)
Photos as and when I get them. :)
Till I next get chance,
Bethxx

No comments:

Post a Comment