Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

So Part II!

So...
Where was I?
Ah I think we'd got to Wednesday.


Which means the next day was Thursday. 


A day in which it rained. Heavily. The day in which we went to the Woods. 
GREAT IDEA! xD Not really. we ate a picnic in the car. Visited Waltham Abbey, which is where King Harold (The one that got it in the eye in 1066) is buried. But the highlight of the day was finding this awesome traditional sweet shop and dominos pizza for tea. 
I have never made bonbons last so long.
Also yellow Turkish Delight is better than pink. It doesn't feel like you're eating a flower. Something that has always felt vaguely wrong.


Then came Friday. Which is logical, and a fact, that despite most of us knowing from about the age of 4 or 5, seemed to take Rebecca Black by surprise. 


I got off the tube walked up the steps and was confronted by this:




For the observant amongst you that's Big Ben. Thats from the top of the steps. This is what I actually saw on exiting the station:
A GIANT black fence. Anyone would think politicians weren't liked all to much.


So yes, I went to Parliament.

 A Facebook status announcing this led to one of the best comments "those in favour of Beth's visit to parliament, say "Aye". I think the Aye's have it!"  From one Chris Menez. Needless to say this was not the only reaction elicited by my visit. A fellow blogger with a penchant for Chanel told me I should verbally abuse Harriet Harmon because she finds her intensely annoying the only problem is she said I had to tell her that she votes for our MP, whose name I can just about spit out, so it would probably have added assault to the list. But the only reason I could visit Parliament as I did was because like me, it's on summer vacation!
Well, clearly the building hadn't gone anywhere, but its members had.

It was a very interesting tour. The most important thing I learned from this trip is that the TV lies. The angles they show the chambers at make them appear much larger than they really are. In fact I'm pretty sure my school Gymnasium is bigger than the House of Commons. Apparently when all 600 odd members are present its a question of standing room only. Apparently that usually only happens once a week for PMQ's. What a total non surprise there.

Anyway. After Parliament we went to find Dad, who had taken a half day.  We wandered around Westminster.
On the way to find Dad we walked past Spooks!

I got very excited.

A bit like when we got to where Dad works.

Having pretty much lived in the country my entire life I got quite excited by the thought of my Dad working in a skyscraper. Which is why there is now a pic of Millbank Tower on my blog. I was having an excitable day. I took a photo of MI6 through the trees on the other side of the river. My dad demanded to know why I wanted a picture of the Lego Building. I told him Lego is cool. (I have mentioned I'm a secret geek right?)


We then walked back in to Central Westminster.
And then spent hours looking for lunch. I'll be honest. By the time we got any it had turned into Tea. And I'm not talking about Dom and Lucy's favourite hot beverage either.
That wasn't the end of the day though as mum and I hopped on the Tube to see mum's friend Pic who lives just off Russell Sq. Pic is a fantastic individual who nearly caused me to wet myself laughing at one point, as she told us that the day before in a fit of boredom, she had dressed up as a smurf which led to, terrifying the guy across the hall who was convinced he was having a bad trip, scaring the pizza menu guy, whom she told she didn't want any pizza menu as she only eats Smurfberries and as ever causing her husband to wonder whether his wife is really sane.
Having just about eased my faceache and laughter stitch we went home.


The next day we were back in Westminister/Whitehall to go to the cabinet war rooms. The biblical level of precipitation caused arguements, but the war rooms themselves we're very interesting, despite the waiter in the café now being on my long list of inconsiderate monkey brains I dislike. To get to the cabinet war rooms you walk past Downing Street, the final destination for a free Syria Protest. It made me think. We were stood getting tetchy with each other because of the rain, whilst these people were marching straight through the downpour because the rights we take for granted in this country aren't available to them back home.
When you come out of the war rooms you're out the back of Downing Street headed down toward Horseguards Parade.
I half wanted to take picture of the back wall of No.10, because I'm a really hopeless tourist but the prescence of the policeman and more importantly his rather large semi automatic made me feel rather jumpy.
And if you want to know where my picture of Horseguards is? There isn't one. They were still taking down the beach Volleyball stands and as such its a bit of a building site. So instead you can have a picture of Admiral Nelson.

Upon seeing this I said "Oh I didn't realise Nelson was there!" Class dunce comment of the week. I can't remember which, but one of my parents countered "We did you think he was?! On a toilet break?"


And that was more or less the end of Beth's London trip. Beth was very pleased to go home as the number of spiders in the vicarage had put her on the verge of severe mental break down. I think the one in the shower wanted to avenge itself on me after I had dad kill its mate.


I can kill most insects. But I draw the line at big black beetles, spiders and Daddy-longlegses. (Crane flies)


On a mission to bug proof her life!
Bethxx

No comments:

Post a Comment