Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

I stopped worrying...

Amazingly ISS managed to keep their servers running and bang on 10, I received the very welcome news that I had passed first year with a flourish and even managed a 2.2 in French - go figure.

Also yesterday, Christopher (my 16 year old brother) went for induction at the "Institution" known to everyone else as Pontefract NEW College. However he forgot to take any money with him, so I trekked across to deliver it, in the self serving hope of getting to see two very good friends. An aim which was fulfilled.
In my 3 years at NEW College (I had a rather major change of direction, and decided that I didnt in fact want to do medicine and so dropped the subjects i had previously been studying to allow myself to do Languages which I felt much happier with.), I had the great privilege to be taught to by some amazing individuals, (and the forbearing to suffer others, who shall remain nameless) these included the wonderful Tosh - ( No I'm not being rude its short for Santosh) - My German tutor. He's an inspiring teacher, but sadly after 19 years is leaving NEW College. Its a sad thought, he's not just my teacher, he's my friend and I'm gonna miss this self declared grumpy git. I'm pretty sure if he reads this he'll attack my grammar accusing me of absolute carnage - but if it wasn't for his time and effort and passion I'm very sure I'd be doing a boring single honours in English having just dropped French off the top of Bowland Tower, he is single handedly responsible for re-igniting my love of German after a particularly discouraging teacher at GCSE. I have a massive respect for Tosh and I hope that whatever option he takes next he enjoys it.
I hope when I qualify that I can be as good a teacher as him. In my opinion life is made better by the slightly mad teachers, those who have a real love and passion for their subject and a genuine interest in their students.

The other person I managed to see yesterday wasn't a teacher in the traditional sense, but she taught me a thing or two about organisation and life in general. Another person who is now more of a friend even though she started out as my study mentor getting me through 1st  year Chemistry (of which I remember nothing) but Jane Rolfe (Rolfy!!!) became a brilliant friend and a rock who could always be relied upon in a crisis to set me straight, give me a tissue and screw my head back on, (I'd forget it otherwise).
I wish I could find her on Facebook... though it wouldn't surprise me to find she's not on there xD

On another topic entirely, it surely can't be that physically exerting to play the piano! I have been watching the first night of the Proms whilst writing this and the concert pianist is positively dripping in facial sweat.

I think I just admitted to being slightly more cultured than I'd like people to think... I hate art galleries and gardening. Art Galleries remind me that i have less artistic ability that a spider that accidently walked across an ink pad; and gardening because of spiders, soil, slimy things, pollen, bugs, bugs and did I mention bugs?

This Concert Pianist has HUGE hands. Seriously fingers like rulers.

Anyway today.
Today was JD's Birthday. So a bunch of us tramped off down to xscape. We found ourselves many entertainments. But it culminated in bowling. Dom refused to use barriers. Dom, in the final game got a grand total of 27. Beth laughed alot. We shan't comment on Mark. But for those in the know he wound Dom up in a way only Mark can xD. It was a throughly enjoyable day. I'm having a few of those atm. I do hope it continues.

Anyway its time to start mentally fortifying myself and taking as many supplements as I can to ward off the lurgi; for Camp cometh. In 3 weeks Me, myself and my tent shall be setting to, in a Field, roughly 10 miles from where I was born, chasing errant prepubescents around it for no other clear reason than that I am in fact certifiably mad. Oh well, I have my mad companion. For sharing in the glory that is my bug free tent, (the inner tent! The best innovation ever in the field of camping... No pun intended), is Emily!
I fully intend to make us a flag. It shall probably declare us to be the Lancaster Massive or some such. Either way it will signify that this duo is a forced to be reckoned with and in the process show us for the madwomen we are. In fact I'm going to buy a tin of Quality Street for our use.

Emily and I met on Camp.

On the first night we talked into the wee small hours, and more or less shared our life stories. As perfect strangers we told some of our darkest secrets. Following this however, came a very detailed critique, nay the worlds most in-depth and detailed critique of Quality Streets. Emily doesn't like the Strawberry or Orange Cream ones. At first I was astounded. Then I figured this was in fact the best thing ever. Emily and I can share a tin of QS's without fighting!

We've been firm friends ever since.


Right I'm off to watch this organ solo I'm told is coming up!

Oh I am truly getting old.

Bethxx

2 comments:

  1. Just testing my commmenting skills since I had a little fiddle about with my Google account... *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete